Monday, May 31, 2010

How Had I Never Heard of...Shaun Tan

I had never heard of Shaun Tan when the Professor of Pedantics brought home a copy of his book Tales from Outer Suburbia. I don’t know how it is I managed to miss such a talented local artist but I’m glad the situation has been rectified.
This picture book is aimed at older children but there is so much to be found in it for adults that I would recommend it to everyone.
His use of language is deceptively simple-delivering a depth of meaning and emotion well beyond the words. Likewise the illustrations are sketchy at first glance but on examination contain a phenomenal amount of detail. The stories are even presented in a delightful manner. For example, a poem about destroyed poetry is presented as an amalgam of torn pieces of paper.
Tales from Outer Suburbia is delightful, embrace your inner child and read it.

No comments: