Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Going Global

With the world in, or on the brink of, recession and the Australian dollar on a par with the Biddelonian Jangu Nut, my hero and I have decided that this would be a great time to visit the motherland. Or at least his mother’s land, my mother lives a scenic four hour drive along the coast.
Aiming to hit UK shores in their summer (because although it would be nice to be there for Christmas I was born and bred here in the colonies and doubt I could cope with an Irish winter) means getting our act together now. Which, it will come as no surprise to anyone-except it seems my hero-is more difficult than you would anticipate.
My hero would seem to believe that taking a family of five half way around the world is no harder than dropping into the post office and picking up a zone 2 metcard. He is wrong.
We will need passports. Which means getting full birth certificates, since the statements issued when the children were born are not acceptable. I could have applied for them online. But that would mean finding appropriate identification, having it notarized by the police and posting it in to a government department, crossing my fingers that neither the application forms or my I D went missing.
So I chose instead to go into the city and wait around for half an hour in person then walk away with them in my hot little hand. A process than was not free, nor easy. I had to check the details on the certificates and there he was under previous issue of parents. Thomas Kieran. It was like a punch to the solar plexus. It did bring tears to my eyes. But my stomach soon reminded me that it had been five hours since I had eaten and I got over the shock quick enough.
Now I have to apply for the passports themselves. A process I’m sure will run smoothly and easily, restoring my faith in the system. Let’s see if there really is any power in positive thinking.
After much searching and sorting we settled on dates and I found airfares that won’t leave us completely bankrupt, though I’m not entirely convinced that we won’t have to hang our arms out the windows and flap.
Next on the list is finding accommodation. Naturally we will be spending the bulk of time with family but after sitting on a 22hr flight with 3 children I want to do some tourist stuff while I’m there and that means a couple of weeks travelling. I’m thinking self catering cottages. For a week in the Republic of Ireland and a week in Northern England. Sort of a base camp from which we can so day trips.
So for those of you in the UK any recommendations greatly appreciated. Particularly accommodation you found good or companies you’d warn against. But also places you would recommend we visit or avoid. We will be hiring a car for our time outside London so transport not an issue.
Car hire, there’s something else I need to get sorted. It never ends.
And here is where I take a break to do the Christmas shopping. Because there is nothing as relaxing as fighting crowds while piped Christmas carols worm their way into my brain.

5 comments:

Casdok said...

Wow how exciting for you all!!

There is so much to see and do all over the UK it really depends on sort of things your family like to do.
But after 22 hours on a plane with 3 kids i recommend you leave them with your hero and meet me for a large glass of wine and a massage!!

Hope you have the best christmas!!

Cathy said...

Are you going to stay over in London? Please do! As Casdok says there is so much to in the UK, it will be hard to choose.

Happy Christmas,

Cx

Anonymous said...

Oh Boy! I'm terribly late in commenting - my apologies.

However, if you do get to read this in time, we have 3 cottages on our farm and I could send you details if you so require. They are very comfortable and in a beautiful location (I would say that wouldn't I but I'm sure a million holiday makers will back me up).

Anyway, have a wonderful Christmas and perhaps we might meet in 2009.

Take care,
Crystal Jigsaw xx

Andrea said...

Your place sounds lovely Crystal but we have decided to take the advice of those who live there or have travelled before and to base ourselves in London.
Since we only have four or five days it's simply not long enough to do any part of the country justice but we could probably 'do' London in that time.
I'll post updated details of our visit as they are confirmed.

Cathy said...

Lots to do in London, but if you will still have a car there are plenty of places in easy reach of London too. You will be spoilt for choice. ( And don't forget to meet up with me and Casdok!)

Cx